Shepherd’s Pie: delicious, nutritious and hearty. The perfect addition to your weeknight meal plan that will have the entire family asking for seconds!
★ 1 sweet potato
★ 1 onion (chopped)
★ 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
★ 200g beef mince
★ 3 roma tomatoes (chopped) or 1 can chopped tomatoes – no salt
★ 2 tbsp tomato paste
★ 2 tbsp dried Italian herbs
★ 1 carrot (chopped)
★ 5 mushrooms (chopped)
★ Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot of water over a high heat.
- Add chopped sweet potato and turn down heat to simmer.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Once sweet potato is soft, strain and mash with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until browned.
- Add mince to pan and stir until just cooked through.
- Mix through tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian herbs, carrots, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 15mins – 45mins.
- Pour Bolognese into a deep dish and spoon sweet potato mash on top.
- Place in the oven for approximately 10 mins or until the top is browned.