Recipe: Raw Chocolate Halva
This raw, organic, vegan, gluten-free and fructose-friendly dessert from Pana Chocolate head chefs Maria Barbounis and Amber Roche is a flavoursome adaptation of the traditional Greek dessert, made with ‘good for your insides’ Pana Raw Chocolate.
Makes: 2-3 serves
Time Taken: 60 minutes
Level: Some effort
★ 1 cup white organic sesame seeds (hulled or unhulled is fine)
★ 2 tbsp organic coconut nectar
★ 2 Pana Chocolate Fig & Wild Orange bars
★ 1 tsp organic coconut oil
★ 2 tbsp chopped dried organic figs
★ 2 tbsp chopped activated organic walnuts
★ 3 drops of orange essential oil or zest of 1 organic orange
★ 1 fresh organic fig, cut in to quarters
★ ½ organic orange, segmented and diced
★ 1 small sprig of organic rosemary
★ 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- Melt Pana Chocolate bars and coconut oil in a bowl over hot water. Keep stirring until melted and place aside. To ensure the recipe remains “raw” use a thermometer to monitor that the ingredients do not heat above 42 degrees.
- Place sesame seeds in a food processor and process until a fine powder. Add the coconut nectar and blend until it forms a paste.
- Now pour in your melted Pana Chocolate and blend until combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add figs, walnuts and orange essential oil (or orange zest) and massage in with hands until evenly combined.
- Place mixture in to desired moulds, roll in to balls or a long sausage-shape and chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- Once firm, pop out of moulds or cut to desired shape.
- Serve with garnish. Place fig and orange on top of Halva and drizzle with coconut nectar. Finish with little rosemary.